We are closing the curtain on 2019 today and so we have decided to look back on the year and bring you a list of Up and coming artist whose music broke the barriers to the mainstream.
Remember this list is about only those artists considered as up and coming so don’t expect to see the biggest stars in it.
1. Fameye – The nothin I get hitmaker released a couple of hit songs following the success of Nothin I get, which actually brought him into the limelight. He dropped Mati, Chairman and Speed Up which all did well on the airwaves. But it was the success of ‘nothing I get’ that makes him number 1 on our list.
2. Quamina MP – He has been such a revelation this year. He released ‘party’ which featured more established Kwesi Arthur and Taadi Rap god Kinaata and it was an instant hit and a party banger still. His next song to hit was Amanfour girls, a song he featured the Rapper of the year 2018, Medikal and it blew like a nuclear bomb. It is the song on every DJs playlist. He also featured on a couple of songs like Sister Afia’s hit song ‘Weather’. For his efforts, he places second.
3. Fantana – Bullet certainly knows how to make artists blow without much sweat ain’t it. To think that a fresh artist skipped the hell of underground straight into mainstream music in less than a year is amazing and while bullet deserves some credit, the huge part goes to Fantana for beguiling Ghanaians with her sweet voice and strong spirit to deal with all the controversies that came her way. She already has more than 3 songs under her belt in 2019. Her first banger ‘So What’ was an instant hit. She quickly followed that with ‘girls hate on girls’ and New African Lady’. For her efforts, we place her in 3rd.
4. Kofi Mole – 2019 has been a good year for Kofi Mole. He released Don’t be late, his most popular song of the year 2019 and it filled the airwaves for the good part of the year. He went ahead to release an album with songs such as ‘Bestie’, ‘Mene woa’ among others. He also landed some high profile features most notable of which was ‘drip’ by Medikal.
5. Imrana – King of Brong and Ahafo music, he can be confidently called. His propagation into the limelight was through his hit song ‘Imagine Say’. A sorrowful song which talked about the yearnings of a Hustler who had no choice in the life he was brought up into. The song got many air plays and he instantly became a darling of the airwaves. He recently single handedly filled the Sunyani Lorry Station without any top artist billed.
6. J. Derobie – From the slums of Nima to featuring an A rated International act like Popcaan on the remix of his hit song ‘Poverty’. The song blew instantly and became a ghetto anthem. He went ahead to release ‘Irie’ and Odo Bra in 2019 which has performed moderately well.
7. Kweku Smoke – ‘Enhye wo ho a yedin’ became an instant street anthem. His hit song Yedin which featured Sarkodie, the legendary rapper turned a relatively obscure rapper into a recognized name. His recent beef with the dancehall king Shatta Wale over a song Shatta allegedly stole from him shot him to popularity even more. For that he places 7th on our list of top ten up and coming artists who blew in 2019.
8. Tulenkey – The Proud Fcuk Boys hitmaker made strides this year. He featured Nigerian Internationals Falz and Ice Prince on the proud fcuk boys remix.
9. Amerado – Amerado made his name this year after showing his skill on Sarkodie’s Biibi Ba late last year. This year he has released a track with Comedian Clemento Suarez and also another called “Don’t call me king” in which he punched several rappers.
10. Emelia Brobbey – The actress surprised everyone when she released her single ‘Fa me kor. The song is perhaps the most talked about only second to Shatta Wale and Beyonce’s Already song. Despite the criticism she faced, the conversation around it brought her into the music limelight although she had already made the name in acting. Well she’s last for apparent reasons.